Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
South Carolina is a state in the Southeastern United States. It is bordered to the north by North Carolina; to the south and west by Georgia, located across the Savannah River; and to the east by the Atlantic Ocean. See the fact file below for more information about South Carolina?or download the comprehensive worksheet pack which can be utilised within the classroom or home environment.
- Prior to European arrival, tribes such as the Catawba, Chicora, Santee, and Cherokee people first established the settlements in South Carolina. Many of them are now extinct due to various health problems. Today, the state is located in the southern ?part of the United States with the total area of 32,020 sq. miles and 4,625,384 population. Wherein it became a state on May 23,1788.
- In August 1526, the Spaniards attempted its first settlement by San Miguel de Gualdape, probably near Winyah Bay they also built coastal forts discouraging French settlements. By 1666, Capt. Robert Sanford explored and named the Ashley River. Making the possession of the territory for England and the Proprietors.
- At the end of the 17 century, ?the importation of African slaves increased prompting a law providing cash incentive for bringing white servants. Twenty years after, the Lords Proprietors failed to protect the colonists from various threats that resulted a Revolutionary Assembly.
- In November 1781, the American forces led by Gen. Nathanael Greene retake most of South Carolina defeating number of British military. Ten years later, President George Washington made his first visit at the town of Charleston.
- Today, the economy of the state is supported by the production of tobacco, poultry, cattle, dairy products, soybeans, hogs, textiles, chemical products, paper products, and machinery. Its major waterways are the Atlantic Ocean, Santee River, Edisto River, and Savannah River with a humid subtropical climate making summers hot and humid, winter temperatures vary coastal areas very mild, and inland colder with snow.
- Some of its famous citizens are Andrew Jackson (United States President), Jesse Jackson (political figure), Jim Frazier (prize fighter), Althea Gibson (tennis champion), and Vanna White (TV personality).
Key Statistical Information On Vermont
Became a State
May 23,1788 (8th)
southern United States
32,020 sq. miles (40th)
Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Spartanburg, Lexington, Conway, York
tobacco, poultry, cattle, dairy products, soybeans, hogs, textiles, chemical products, paper products, machinery
humid subtropical: summers hot and humid, winter temperatures vary coastal areas vey mild, inland colder with snow
averages 52 inches
Professional Sports Teams
no professional sports teams
Atlantic Ocean, Santee River, Edisto River, Savannah River
Most Famous Citizens
Andrew Jackson (United States President)
Jesse Jackson (political figure)
Jim Frazier (prize fighter)
Althea Gibson (tennis champion)
Vanna White (TV personality)
Bird – Carolina Wren
Flower – Carolina Jessamin
Animal – White-tailed Deer
Tree – Palmetto
Insect – Carolina Mantid
This bundle contains 11 ready-to-use South Carolina?Worksheets?that are perfect for students?who want to learn more about South Carolina which is a state in the Southeastern United States. It is bordered to the north by North Carolina; to the south and west by Georgia, located across the Savannah River; and to the east by the Atlantic Ocean. See
Download includes the following worksheets:
- South Carolina Facts
- Colonial History
- Famous Citizen
- Train Timeline
- State Flag
- Mix and Match Landmarks
- Andrew Jackson
- The Symbols
- City Search
- Literature in SC
- Hurricane Hugo
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as South Carolina Facts & Worksheets: http://www.grabillautomotive.com - KidsKonnect, February 19, 2017
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.